Management Business Solutions has been retained by Ferris State University to be a “value-add” partner to their recruitment for this position. As a solution-based staffing organization; we have aligned our processes to mirror Ferris’s talent strategies to identify, screen, and recruit qualified candidates.
To apply for this job, and to learn more about the possibilities at Ferris State University, please visit their website at https://jobs.ferris.edu/en-us/job/494102/assistant-or-associate-general-counsel
The Assistant or Associate General Counsel will be under general direction from the Vice President and General Counsel or his/her designee, advise and represent the University in various legal matters.
- Confer with and advise University officials regarding various legal and administrative issues, including issues related to constitutional and public institutional law, governmental and regulatory law, business and commercial transactional law, and labor and employment issues.
- Develop, revise and interpret University and Board of Trustee policies. Collaborate with University officials regarding effective use and implementation of policies.
- Conduct legal research and prepare memoranda of law and legal opinions regarding various legal issues in diverse practice areas.
- Draft, review and administer contracts.
- Assist with compliance efforts, including but not limited to Freedom of Information Act, Health Insurance and Portability and Accountability Act and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Assist with student affairs, student discipline and Title IX legal issues.
- Provide oversight to the University in litigation and monitor and coordinate with external counsel regarding University litigation.
- Monitor the adoption of significant legislation, the issuance of significant court or administrative rules, regulations, guidelines, or interpretations affecting the University, and advise appropriate University officials of the same.
- Assist in the formation and implementation of University strategies for limiting liability and managing risk.
- Provide legal training for University administration through seminars, programs, etc.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Demonstrated capacity for legal reasoning.
- Demonstrated capacity for clear and concise oral and written communication.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal relations and conflict resolution skills.
- JD./L.L.B. degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Membership in a state bar association and/or membership or eligibility to gain admission into the State Bar of Michigan.
- Five or more years’ experience as an attorney.
- Experience in a University or public sector environment preferred.
- Knowledge of Michigan law, and business law or labor and/or employment law experience required.
MANAGEMENT BUSINESS SOLUTIONS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER