How to Apply
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200+ reviews.
Are you an Engineering Manager of Rail Planning & Development looking to make a difference?
In this role, you will
- Manage and direct NCDOT's Rail Planning & Development statewide and regional activities.
- Lead ongoing and long range functions of Rail Division including planning, directing, staffing, and reporting.
- Oversee rail project development, including activities related to functional engineering, NEPA and permitting, rail planning (including studies analysis), and management of NCDOT's Freight Rail and Rail Crossing Safety Improvement (FRRCSI) program.
- Oversee NCDOT Rail Division’s rail project scoring and programming processes under the state’s Strategic Transportation Investments (STI) funding.
- Develop, implement, and administer statewide programs and planning initiatives.
- Oversee federal grants development - a key rail funding source under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law.
- Coordinate with other department units, Federal Railroad Administration, municipalities, Metropolitan and Rural Planning Organizations (MPO’s and RPO’s), other NC state agencies, states outside of NC, the public, public transportation agencies and many state and federal environmental resource agencies.
What You Bring
- Strong experience and knowledge of engineering and planning practices and standards.
- Excellent communications skills to collaborate with municipal, railroad, federal officials, elected officials, the public, other leaders, and key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret statutes, regulations, and policies necessary for implementing transportation development and funding programs.
- Supervisory skills to manage a team of professionals including planners, engineers, and technicians.
- Experience supervising employees, contractors, and/or consultants.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in engineering, and
- 6+ years progressive engineering experience, including
- 4+ years of supervisory experience; or
- An equivalent combination of training and experience.
Call me: Levonda Norman at 919-707-4715.
Connect to NCDOT Careers at