How to Apply
This posting is for 3+ openings, and your application will be considered for all of them!
NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.
Looking for a great place to work with
- A living wage
- Job security
- Full benefits (including the State Health Plan and a pension!)
- A true team atmosphere, and
- Work you can take pride in
This is an entry-level opening for you to begin a career with the NC Department of Transportation as a Transportation Worker I. You'll get to work on exciting projects, learn construction skills, and build your career. Join us!
NEW HIGHER SALARY: $31,200 - $51,525
We are looking for entry-level transportation workers to join our Highway Maintenance team in Forsyth county.
In this role, you will learn to:
- Use standard hand tools, power equipment, vehicles, and heavy equipment in the preventive maintenance, repair, and construction of roads and roadside features for the NC highway and road systems.
- Conduct inspections, ensure work zone safety, and participate in snow & ice removal.
- Perform flagging and assist with maintenance/repair project completion through the use of tools and equipment such as tractor with attachments, curb machine, cutoff saw, dump truck, small wheel and sheep foot rollers, vibrator roller compactor, pulverizer mixer, and pneumatic tire roller.
- Work with paint crews.
- Install road signs.
- Assist Electronics Technicians with signal maintenance and installation.
- Operate hand tools for sign installation and replacement and a dump truck, broom tractor, paint line removing machine, thermoplastic machine, trencher, and edge-line paint gun operation.
- Perform vegetation control, debris removal, and pushing snow.
- Operate a tractor with attachments, a mower, and dump/flatbed truck.
- Assist in grass and wildflower installation and maintenance.
What You Bring
- An interest in a career in Transportation Construction, and commitment to a safe work environment.
- Experience performing manual labor, and operating power tools such as a chainsaws, weed eaters, skill saws, drills, compactors, jackhammers, etc.
- A Commercial Driver’s License. (Note: You can get this after you are hired through on-the-job training, but it must be within 360 days from your date of hire.)
- A pre-employment drug test is required.
- We will check with previous employers for the past 2 years about controlled substances and alcohol testing.
- Safety toe footwear is required.
Education & Experience
- High school/GED diploma; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Call me: Robyn Warner at 336.747.7800.